The district is roughly bounded by Wilshire Bl. on the north, La Cienega Bl. on the west, Pico Bl. on the south, and Fairfax Ave. on the east. Principal thoroughfares of the district include San Vicente, Olympic, and Crescent Heights Boulevards. Carthay comprises three neighborhoods: Carthay Circle, which lies to the north of Olympic Boulevard; South Carthay, south of Olympic and west of Crescent Heights Boulevard; and Carthay Square, south of Olympic and east of Crescent Heights. In 1922, J. Harvey McCarthy developed the area as an upscale residential district along the San Vicente Boulevard line of the Pacific Electric Railway, bounded by Wilshire Blvd. on the north, Fairfax Avenue on the east, Olympic Blvd. on the south and Schumacher Drive on the west. McCarthy originally named the district Carthay Center (Carthay being a derivative of the developer's last name). The areas to the south of Olympic Boulevard remained undeveloped until 1933, when developer Spyros George Ponty built several hundred homes in two districts later named "South Carthay" and "Carthay Square."
This group has 4 members sharing 2 items worth $450
- You are not a member. Join Group